Introducing: my new coffee

Many of you might recall seeing turmeric on the long list of superfoods making headlines in the last 5 years and counting, but as anyone really dived head first into of to implement the orange rooted, yellow powdered ingredient for a daily consumption?

No....not really.

 
courtesy of www.TurmericAlive.com

Yes, yogis and raw foodies and vegan alike have already discovered that turmeric is one of those essential foods items that should always be kept in plain site of your stove and blender. But to the rest of the populous, the trendy new spice might just be another reason to try that Indian place around the corner. At least, that's what I thought. Totally oblivious to what the spice is actually doing for my body and why I needed to rethink my spice strategy.

I came across this spice among my food travels, while spying in kitchens and trying new recipes I noticed turmeric in my curry, from all the currying countries, but also the fine yellow powder was in my relish, my mustard and even my rice. I saw turmeric on salad bars for the truly devout turmericers who would sprinkle it on top of leafy greens with lemon juice and cayanne. I've even heard healers say that, as a paste, turmeric can draw the pain out of the body, like IcyHot! (haven't tried this method yet, but I'll keep you posted if I do) But everything involved eating (or addding) turmeric to something I had to chew.

And then I started following the Vegan Zombie on Instagam, where he posted about a bottle of
Turmeric Alive. And so began my journey to the drink-ability Turmeric. 

courtesy of www.TurmericAlive.com

Turmeric Elixirs, or "Yoga in a Bottle" according to Daniel Sullivan, are an Ayurvedic practice past through generations of natural and earth bound healing methods.

"As one of the most powerful healing foods on the planet, turmeric (Curcuma longa) has been called the “queen” of medicinal plants. For thousands of years, turmeric held a privileged place in traditional East Asian medicines and rituals. It was said to be used for detoxifying the liver, clearing the skin, purifying blood, relieving pain, improving memory and supporting lightness in the body. And it was believed to possess a spiritual power capable of cleansing negative energy from spaces, people and objects." -TurmericAlive.com

Some of the ingredients of Daniel's elixirs include coconut nectar, vanilla bean and sea salt blended with raw turmeric root juice. Which sound interesting and terrifying at the same time. Personally, I'm not an online shopper when it comes to food items, but TurmericAlive does deliver across the nation in large and small quantities. Unfortunately, most retailers are Yoga studios, which are sparse in my area, so I have not yet had an opportunity to purchase one, but the day I find one....

Until then, I've brewed a turmeric tea, to give me a boost in the morning. Though not raw, even raw foodies believe turmeric does not loose much of its vitality and potency when dried or cooked.

Turmericaholics talk about the brain boosting effects of turmeric in the morning on an empty stomach, and I have to agree. I feel...vitalized after the first sip.

Taking pointers and ingredients from a couple places I took a peppermint bark tea (1 tbsp) and added ground turmeric (2 tbsp), cayenne (dash), fresh ginger (1/2 inch chopped) and a whole sliced lime to a small pot of spring water with some cinnamon (1/2 tsp) and a pinch of salt. At first, it doesn't smell or sound that tasty, but by adding a bit of honey or agave (or both) it rounds out to be a warm spicy tea.

This is officially, my new coffee. In fact, since I started drinking it I don't even crave coffee anymore (with the exception of White Chocolate Mocha craving, those just don't quit). This isn't an everyday drink for me...mostly because I don't do anything everyday, except take vitamins (when I remember) and sleep (when I have time). But for now, twice a week has proved to provide enough natural boost to make it from Monday to Friday without wanting to hide from the world.

Mood and energy boost in a cup without a crash?

When are you brewing your first cup?

  
Bonus Recipe:
Other receipies for home made turmeric tonics are much simpler requiring only 4 to 5 things. Like on the Delicious Revolution the anti-inflammatory and longevity properties of this turmetic tonic are highlighted in the instructional video.

Turmeric Tonic: Anti-Inflammatory Elixir

4 inch piece fresh turmeric (or two teaspoons organic dried turmeric)
3 inch piece of ginger (or one tablespoon organic powdered ginger)
3 lemons, peeled
Dash cayenne
4 cups young coconut water
Raw honey to desired sweetness
Juice the turmeric, ginger, and lemons. Add the juice to the young coconut water (or spring water). Add the cayenne and stir well to combine. Store in the fridge for up to three days.



Comments