Guy Food-The Pizza Dog


No I had thought the Super Bowl was going to be my opportunity to make the best "Guy Food" since getting the extra time to cook. And it didn't quite work out. I did manage to make some very delicious wings, but they were not the ones I wanted. So I've moved on.

But keeping in the spirit of feeding men and their cravings, here's a new one that I didn't come up with myself. I actually watched a guy make, eat, and savor... a pizza dog.

Essentially, this is exactly what the name says it is. A hot dog, with pizza toppings. The perfect balance of two guys foods in one. Hot dogs have been known to have cheese on them, an pizzas are nothing more than bread and toppings.

Now for those of you who cant' conceptualize how one is constructed, here's my simple recipe.

1. take bun, stand it on a baking sheet, split side up. (I use foil to hold the bun upright)
2. place cooked hot dog in bun. precooking the hot dog reduces cooking time
3. add pepperoni. I think two even layers stuffed down one side of the bun gets the best results you can also take this step to add other toppings like peppers or olives or mushrooms. but don't fall victim to the taco mistake and over-top your hot dog.
4. pour over sauce. canned or bottled sauce works fine for this.
5. pre-bake. set the oven to 350 or so and let the sauce and bun warm though, about 10 mins
6. add cheese. your supermarket pizza blend or just some mozzarella will do. adding italian herbs is always a nice touch
7. second bake. this is just to melt the cheese, nothing more, so don't burn your dogs
8. eat. like pizza you may want to let the dogs cool some so the cheese doesn't burn your mouth.

Real simple, right?

I'll admit I've never actually ate one. But I feel it necessary to point out this simple concoction can be very satisfying. Plus they smell really, really good!

Comments