My 2010 Exit Burgers

The Food Network has this show called "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" where chefs from all over list the best thing they ever ate in a particular food category. Eggs, brunch, fried, cheese, Mexican, everything.


Well My entry for "the best thing I ever ate : burgers" would be this:
Silver Diner's Grilled Wasabi Salmon Slider Basket
Teriyaki glazed salomn, pickled ginger, wasabi mayo, on oat wheat buns, served with a side Summer Citrus Salad (I chose a reg side salad). $10.99 (price may vary)

This was the surprise basket of sliders of my life. At first I'm just going to the diner for a meal with a friends, I don't expect anything more than a greasy burger and fries, maybe a soda, basically a meal I'm going to regret when I get back to my hotel room (at the time I was implementing my diet changes). And then I open up the menu and there are all these choices and combination that weren't there 6 years ago when I was in college/high school. I see the Salmon Slider Basket picture on the menu and I'm immediately intrigued. Before I even order I'm already picking a second option in case I absolutely hate it. I mean this is the Silver Diner I'm talking about, this is a place that I went to a total of 6 times when I was a kid and I was NEVER impressed! I'd come just because it would be the only thing open at 10 o'clock in Montgomery County, Maryland.

So I get the platter and at first I order it with no Mayo, but like most places with short order cooks my request went unheeded. I would have usually made a big deal about it, but in diners you never know who pissed off your waitress, so I sucked it up and started eating.

Whoa!

The salmon was juicy and sweet, the ginger had this bite to it that cut the buttery fat of the fish and the Wasabi Mayo had the perfect amount of heat without the yucky mayo flavor I was expecting. This was a Great Burger! I almost ordered a second helping but I would have had no where to put it.

I now have a reason to return to Silver Diner



Comments