Korean style burger?

Doesn't that look mouthwatering?
I picked this up off a fellow food blog called The Delicious Life
Sarah is an LA socielite who loves to dish and has generated hundreds of entries since starting her blog in 2005. I thouroughly recomend looking at her blog because, like this one, it isn't one sided and she has a verbal personality that makes me want to meet her!
She does have better photography than I do, but I'm working on it!


The Bulgogi Burger Recipe

If you know Korean food, for goodness’ sake, use your favorite bulgogi/galbi marinade, but if you’re not, this is a good starting point, though I wouldn’t turn around and use this for real bulgogi because it has no sugar.

In small bowl, combine ¼ c. soy sauce, 2 T. rice wine, 1 Tbsp. sesame oil, 2-3 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger, about ¼ c. finely chopped onions, about half a green onion chopped, and a dash of black pepper.

Sprinkle over 1 lb. ground beef, mix together with beef, then set aside to “marinate” for at least 30 minutes.

Shape meat into burgers (This makes 2 burgers, plus a baby burger that I ate right from the pan as a test). Grill, pan fry, or broil until your desired done-ness. I like my burgers medium rare, but I misjudged my cooking time and they were close to medium.

Toast buns, then top with red leaf lettuce, which in Korean, is “sahng-choo,” and is the same type of lettuce used to make rice and bulgogi wraps. I topped my burgers with onions that I had marinated in the same sauce and grilled.

As a condiment, mix about 2 Tbsp. goh-choo-jahng (Korean red pepper paste) with a pinch of sugar and enough water to thin it to the consistency of ketchup. Use this as the condiment on the burger. Serve with something suitably “Oriental” as a side. Like “who-rench who-ries,” or Spicy Thai Kettle Chips.

If you’re more prepared than I was and actually have a giant jar of fermenting cabbage in the back of your refrigerator, then you can top the burgers with some chopped kimchee. I wishwishwish I had done that. I will next time.

Happy Eating!

Comments