Dinner on two dimes

So the economy continues to baffle everyone. People are paying taxes, on taxes, gas keeps rising and there's not even a flashlight at the end of the tunnel.

I am no exception.

I've been pinching pennies to make nickles and tossing quarters into wells hoping a few dollars luck will come my way. But until then, I'll have to make due with what little I have.

If you live in a Metropolis, such as this where the population is varied. Its most likely that you have an Asian Super Market nearby. It may not be huge, or big at all, but it will have potential.

Asian, Indian and Spanish cuisine is all about fresh and cheap, because in their culture meals are cooked everyday and in large quantities for big families. This food is usually packed with flavor and can be made to last, especially if it's just you and the cat (or dog) at home.

One night on my way home I stopped at the market because I wanted something hot, with broth, but flavorful. It was the peak of allergy season and I needed something for my throat and head.

I went through the isles of the produce section and came across Leeks. Now for those of you who don't know, Leeks look more like overgrown green onions than anything else. And though they have an oniony flavor, don't replace the onion in your mothers potato salad with Leeks. While growing these plants sprout flowers similar to chives, only much much larger, think garlic chives on super growth hormones.

With them I bought three large potatoes. Something that would boil and mash well without getting too starchy.

Once home I rinsed the leeks.
I cut the ends of the leeks and rinsed them again.
I sliced the leeks into 1/4" thick rounds and soaked them in a big bowl of water. Changing out the water at least once.
I went through this trouble for two reasons.
1. When buying produce from markets like my favorite one to shop at, most of the food isn't scrubbed clean like the regular grocery stores. So additional washing of your fruits and veggies is a must.
2. Leeks grow in sandy soil, much like greens. And a mouth full of sandy soup would not be appetizing.

Once the leeks were clean, I diced the potatoes and proceeded with cooking.

1 tbsp olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat
1/2 tsp minced garlic
add leeks
add potatoes, I left the skins on but you don't have to
add a pinch of salt (beware of over-salting!)
let the leeks wilt a little in the pan
Add 1 quart of chicken stock, or 1 quart of water and a bouillon cube
Let simmer, and simmer and simmer.
When the soup starts to smell more like soup and less like boiling grass(I'm exaggerating), your almost done.
Add 1 tsp of cayenne pepper, the good stuff.

Now, I'll admit, the pepper was a mistake. I actually wanted to just sprinkle the cayenne as apposed to black pepper, but the top doesn't have a shaker and more than I wanted fell in. But, the mistake turned out to give the soup a spicy kick that actually helped my sinuses.

Now is when you season to taste, adding salt and pepper to your liking. If you don't like cayenne, black pepper would do as well.

Serve Hot, with a spoon and a hunk of french bread for dipping.

All in all I think this dish cost...$6? leeks were about $3 and the potatoes were $0.90 a pound plus tax. Bread was 3 loafs for $1.

For a creamier soup you can add 1 cup of milk, cream or half-n-half. I did, but not everyone can. I also added potato flakes, just enough to thicken the soup, not mashed potatoes. Makes for great soup year round. And if leeks ever go on sale, slice and clean them and freeze them for your winter soups and roasted dishes.

Happy Souping!

Comments