Spaghetti A La Harris Teeter

So this past weekend I went to a funeral in Charleston.
Yes, sad, I know.
But I was allowed to cook, TWICE! For those of you who read the Thanksgiving blogs you know that the last time I went there was absolutely no cooking allowed.

First I made Breakfast on...Friday? It was probably Saturday. Yeah it was Saturday because I went from the kitchen to the car.

I made my Cheese and Egg Grit Risotto! Yeah, I don't really have a name for it but you get the jist of the dish.

Start with a pot of boiling water. I'm going to write this Recipe the same way I cook it, by feel. If you are one person use 1-2 cups, 3 people 4-5 cups, a main dish, double it, a side, half it. But if you know how to make grits and you know how much you like to eat, start with your normal amount of water.
When the water is boiling, add a pinch of salt and the Grits. I use Quaker, stone ground grits. Not Quick grits. If you use quick grits for this you'll have a softer consistency, something more like mashed potatoes than risotto.
Let your grits cook. Let them cook until almost done.
To this add garlic. I use Fresh, pre-diced, garlic, and I use about 1 tbsp per two cups of water used. But if you like VERY savory in the morning, you can add some more.
At this point you want to turn off the heat. Completely off, you want the bubbling to stop.
Now is when you add the eggs. Yes, whole fresh eggs, directly to the pot. I put in about 6 eggs for 4 people. When it's just me I put in 2. So give or take based on how many eggs are in your fridge.
Once you've cracked all your eggs you want to stir vigorously. You can use a wisk or a fork, just make sure the entire yolk is broken and mixed in. You don't want chucks of egg in your grits. Then again, if you have chunks of grits in your grits, it may not matter!
Turn the heat back on low. This is just to make sure your eggs are cooked all the way through. The grits should be hot enough to cook the eggs for you, but there's nothing wrong with some insurance. You should see the risotto consistency coming out now. The mixture is going to thicken quickly, don't panic!
As this cooks you should get the cheese ready. I like sharp cheddar, shredded. I used about a cup and a half for the pot I made for 4 people, more is fine, less is fine. For more flavor you can add Parmesan! Add the cheese and stir.
To this you want to add a few tablespoons of butter and/or margarine. (I didn't say this was good for you, if you have a cholesterol or fat intake problem, this is not for you!)
Once everything is combined add some pepper and a touch more salt to taste. If the mixture is too thick to eat with a fork, (yes fork not spoon, this is risotto people!) add more water.

Serve hot!

I like a bowl, some like a plate.
We had cold fried fish from two night before and toast on the side. Sausage and bacon are good too.

For an even better treat, divide the grits among some ovenproof ramekins sprinkle some extra cheese on top and back until bubbly and brown.
You can add diced onion that's bee sauteed, or chives, basil, tomatoes, anything you like really. My next attempt I'm going to add shrimp!

My next dish was dinner on Saturday. Spaghetti a la Harris Teeter.
There are very few choices on the island for grocery stores. I think many people plant gardens and the sandy soil is good for tomatoes, okra, cucumbers, thing I buy on a regular basis because I can't grow them.
I stopped in the Teeter of Harris and bought up packages for a simple spaghetti. This is not a cheap spaghetti, but it is a lot of spaghetti so you get your moneys worth.

1 frozen pack of chopped spinach
1 small can sliced black olives
1 medium onion
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 2lb package of ground turkey
1 1lb package of mild italian sausage
1 small can tomato paste
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 14oz can petite diced tomatoes (I picked up the two sizes by mistake)
1 jar tomato basil pasta sauce ( I used a bertolli, you know the regular sized jar. Yes, this is a shortcut. Don't you like shortcuts?)
1 package of spaghetti noodles
1 4 cup pack of italian blended cheese
1 package of grated parmesan (not a must, but it helps)

You'll need a BIG pot, a large "aside" plate, and a frying pan.
In the pot, fill with enough water to cook the pasta, set aside enough pasta for whoever you're feeding today. (Hint: you will have enough sauce to freeze for later) Salt the water, when it starts to boil add the pasta. Drain when ready but save 4 cups of water! This is important!

In the frying pan add a few tablespoons of olive oil. Dice the onion and saute until translucent. Set aside on a large plate.
In the same pan add the mushrooms and saute. Set aside.
If you haven't defrosted the spinach by this point, now would be the time to do it. Defrost it, squeeze it, then add it to the pan, just to get the last of the water out. You don't need the spinach water. Open the olives an drain the juice.
Now, wipe the pan clean, no need to wash but you don't want to burn bits of mushroom or onion in your meet.
Heat the pan and add the sausage, break it into pieces in the pan. Add the turkey, break it into pieces in the pan. I can never get my pieces uber small, but the point is to make everything bites sized.
Once your meat is mostly cooked through add a tablespoon of garlic. (yes, the same diced garlic. If you like more add more) and season with a little salt.
To this add 2 cups of your pasta water. This is my trick to get the meat all the way cooked before you make the sauce.
Now, you didn't put the pasta pot in the dishwasher did you? Go get it!
Transfer the meat and water to the big pot. Add the veggies, stir.
Now the fun part, add everything else. The tomatoes, the sauces, the paste and the olives.
Add a few teaspoons of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, salt and pepper, basil (or just italian seasoning) and anything else you like to season with.
Let the mixture simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Viola!
You pour it over the pasta, serve with garlic bread (take a french bread loaf, sprinkle garlic an basil then add pads of butter inside and out, bake till warm) and sprinkle with the cheeses.
Maybe I should call this two pot spaghetti? Eh, whatever.

Enjoy!

Comments