Sometimes I'm just too sweet!

So, This weekend was "Taste of Atlanta" a food festival that I have been patiently awaiting the re-arrival of. Unfortunately I did not go. The forecast was for rain, and if any of you have been to a rained-in affair, you know that food, water, and 'outside' don't mix very well. Those who don't end up very sick after trudging through the rain and wind will likely not enjoy the tastes and smells of the very humid, dank atmosphere.

However, I did lobby for a partner on said affair. But they were unable to attend do to unforeseen reasons. So I resigned that this weekend would be dedicated to shopping, sewing and baking.

I made a tray of Mexican Chocolate Brownies, for the efforts of my Friday Night Dinner Date. I started with a box of Brownie mix, yes I know I should be making things from scratch, but after working late and scavenging the country side for a take-out box small enough for a cupcake, I was glad to take the shortcut.

1 Box Fudge Brownie Mix (I used the half box that only make 12 brownies)
1 egg
1/4 c water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 tablespoons Special Dark Chocolate Syrup

I made a swirl pattern on top and baked for 30mins. I'm not sure how they tasted because the recipient hasn't been in contact, but the batter was good.
I think I'll make another tray for the office, or at least the mail room, maybe just the security guards.

I also attempted my first unsupervised apple pie.
I was given the craving by the recipient of the brownies, who mistook the weight of the bag to be a pie, not brownies.

I called on my mother for a fool-proof method

apples
sugar
cornstarch
Cinnamon
crust

We referred to two cookbooks, via phone, for measurements, which I later ignored.

What I did is as follows:
1 deep dish Pillsbury Pie Crusts
1 Frozen pie crust (without the pan)
2 Gala Apples, sliced
2 Figi Apples, sliced
2 Golden Delicious Apples, sliced
2 red Pears, diced
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup table sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt

I Through everything (minus the crust) into a bowl and let the juices run. Then spooned everything into the pie crusts. I cut strips in the flat crust and attempted a lattice weave pattern. One was nearly perfect, the other wasn't as successful. I baked them at 350 degrees until the tops were brown and the juices were bubbling.

It tasted alright. I think it would be even better al mode. But I have to make room in the Freezer for ice cream.

Comments