The Stew

So, my Tomatillo Chicken Stew turned out to be more of a soup. I think if I have used fresh tomatillo puree it would have has a more stew like consistency.

I tasted the stew, sans additions, and it was just missing too many things, texture, flavor, the food pyramid in general.

So I added a can of diced tomatoes, this on had onions and garlic (it'e been staring at me in my pantry since I bought it and this is the first time I've had use for it). Then I rinsed a can of black beans and added those. I had some chipotle peppers in Adobo in the freezer from another Spanish Food Craving and through it into the pot for a layer of flavor. Then I through in some frozen corn for color contrast, and voila! Tomatillo Chicken Soup.

After much boiling the chicken is flaky and tender like traditional chicken soup. I think next time I'll boil a whole chicken, instead of frying the breasts, then pull it apart into smaller pieces. The large chunks are pretty but not functional for a regular soup spoon (I eat all my soups with a Japanese type spoon, much wider and deeper).

As far as adding a grain I think this would be a good application for quinoa. I have yet to find a dish that truly makes me want to go out an buy barrels of the stuff, but I think the texture of quinoa would hold up to the soup and not just turn to mush like rice has a tendency to do.

Garnish would of course be tortilla ships/strips. Cilantro, which is by far my favorite herb, and a dollop of sour cream or crema. Shredded Cheese is too chunky for this type of soup, I think. Maybe if you took a back of chips, sprinkled them with shredded cheese and chopped green onion, and stuck them under the broiler for a minute it would make a nice accompaniment.

All in all a good alternative to Chicken Noodle Soup. It has enough flavor to keep you eating, and enough heat to fight the cold.


Stew
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 1-inch cubes or 1 whole chicken shredded
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
2 cups tomatillo sauce
1 teaspoon dry oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped
1 12oz can dices tomatoes
1 12oz can black beans, rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 small chipole Chile in adobo sauce (aprox. 1 tsp sauce)

Bring all ingredients to a boil and let simmer until liquid reduces by 1/4.

Garnish
1/2 cup packed chopped cilantro (about one bunch, rinsed and chopped, stems and leaves)
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 lime, sliced

Garnish bowl with sour cream, cilantro and lime.

Cheese-Onion Chips
3 cups tortilla chips
1 cup shredded Monerrey cheese
1 cup Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup green onions, chopped

Lat chips in one lay over a lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle cheese and onions evenly over chips. Place tray under boiler until cheese is melted. Let cool and eat.

Comments